Thursday, December 2, 2010

Which one do you want first? The good or the bad?

Let's start with the good.  Yesterday at the Doctor I weighed 252, tada I have lost 60 lbs!

Now for the bad.....I went for a fill yesterday as I badly needed one.  I knew the minute Erin stuck the needle in there was a problem.  She had the needle in my skin and kept "fishing" around with it.  Highly unusual, highly painful!  I could feel what I can only describe as the needle scratching against plastic, a truly weird sensation.  After a couple of minutes of me doing sit ups, relaxing, sits up again, Erin removed the needle and said she did not get it.  So we tried doing it with me standing up.  That involved another nurse in the room with smelling salts at the stand by.  Very painful again, lots of scratching and searching and again nothing.  So she removed the needle and tried again.  Again very painful, with lots of pushing this time.  Nothing!  At this point I am getting worried because Erin is a PRO! She is known for her fillin' abilities and lack of a miss-fire!  So she leaves the room and comes back with Dr. Schroder the other surgeon in the practice, he tries, NOTHING! He asks for a smaller needle and promises this one will not hurt as bad.  It did not with the initial piercing, but then he decided I have tons of scar tissue he need to push through.  Holy mother of God! Then I can feel the needle scratching plastic again.  He tries one more time with a new "realize" set-up. Same results as all the others.  He looks at me and asks "Has anything happened to your port"?  ummmm no!  He hypothesizes that one of three things has happened: 1) I have tons of scar tissue and he can not get through it 2) the port tilted 3) the port flipped over and the back of the port is presenting to the needle.

Let's discuss this .  I chose the Allergan - Lap Band  band due to its port.  It was reported to be easier to fill, higher profile and less chance of movement  and flipping!  He said if it flipped I will be his first patient ever. That usually after 6 weeks it is in place and good. So I go back Friday to go under Floroscope with the Dr. Schroder and see whats going on.  I am praying for scar tissue or tilted port.  Those we can work with, flipped port means ANOTHER surgery!
This is a picture of the Lap-Band, the port is circular thing at the end of the tubing right above this sentence.  The dark grey piece is where the needle needs to puncture.  Usually when that happens I can feel a "pop".

Once the Dr. left the room, I asked Erin if I would have felt the port flip, she said not necessarily. I told her I get really really bad craps on that side (I have one now) and they go on for hours. She said some patients do.

Guys I am really worried.  I do not want to go through surgery again, this one *I* think would be worse too, because they have to cut this thing out of the muscle and reattach it. Plus Peter and I have been hammered with bills lately and depending if the surgery happens before Jan 1 or not, it will cost us anywhere between $2800 and $5000.  Arrghhh, I know I am worrying before knowing, but if you know me, that's me. So any prayers, good thought, positive vibes, etc would be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Lizzie.........I'm so sorry. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. If I can be of help in any way, please let me know. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you're going through this Liz. My thoughts are with you that there will be an easy fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers are with you!! That there is a easy, quick, painless, and Inexpensive solution! And Congrats on the 60 lbs!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have my prayers!! I am so sorry you are going though this!! Will be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First Congrats 60lbs wow gotta look at the good side first:)...Second Lots of prayers headed your way as that just sounds miserbale for you and hopefully they will have an easy fix but if you need surgery...you need to be very up front and politely demanding about the situation with your insurance deductible...as a nurse for a bunch of surgeons for a few years I know they can make anything they want to happen and it wouldnt be very good patient care to push it out knowing that it will make it much more expensive for you...I know you how to make them see it your way:) Good luck and lots of positive thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete